Friday, February 29, 2008

The privilege of parenting

Last night - for the first time in a long time - my little girl woke up very, very distressed. I'm exhausted at the moment because I've just started working (only 1 day per week - but it's cleaning). When I heard her cry there wasn't really time to think about me - my natural responses kicked in and I went straight in to her. I still don't know what was wrong - but I had the joy of comforting my little girl - of cuddling in with her and holding her until she made those gorgeous sucking sounds that tell me she ready to go back to sleep. She then woke again at about 5.45 so I brought her into bed with us (something we've rarely done) and she really didn't sleep after that - she was too busy kicking us and rolling over! Still I count it a privilege - I'm not saying this isn't hard for some other parents - I'm not judging anyone - I'm just enjoying those precious moments of being a mummy that are gone all too quickly. Before I know it those times won't happen anymore and I won't be able to comfort her in the way I can at the moment. These are the times I cherish and times when I pray the true bonding between mummy and daughter happens....

4 comments:

OziMum said...

Ebony is very lucky to have such a devoted Mother.

Hope you all get a good sleep tonight!

Joanne said...

Your post made me smile. I feel the same way. We adopted our kids at 5, 8 & 11 (they're now 9, 12 & 15) so I lost some time with the older two. But the younger one "needs" me more and I actually love those moments because I know it won't last forever. :-)

Chelley said...

Those moments together and the ones that you take a snap shot in your heart to keep for the times that you are having a bad day....

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I hear ya sister... though you may have gotten a foot in the back... it is the best foot you will EVER feel... take care