Thursday, May 10, 2007

Contemplating Mothers Day...

So, so many sad Mothers Day gone by - what will this one mean? I have a dear friend who lost her mum 3 years ago and I'd never before thought of the sadness of Mothers Day without my mum. My friend has suffered a double dose of pain over the past 3 years as she, like me, has traveled the road of adoption - this year she celebrates her first Mothers Day as a mum - but without her mum. Her special day will still be tinged with sadness. I guess one day I will have to face Mothers Day without my mum - but I hope not soon.

Graham and I were talking about buying me something special for Mothers Day - something to remember the day with. I went away for a couple of days and today I said to him - 'I really - really don't need anything - you have given me the best Mothers Day present you could ever have given me by giving me Ebony.' I couldn't have done it without him. I don't need another thing - she's it and she will always be the reason I now celebrate Mothers Day.

I don't think I will ever forget the pain of years gone by - even now, when I see a 'Mothers Day' advertisement on TV it takes me back. I'm sure the years will slowly wash away that pain. I'm looking forward to just celebrating this amazing occasion - at the age of 47 - with my husband and my daughter.

Now for my little Ebony. Gosh she is growing fast...and changing. She's so totally beautiful and so much fun to be around. She's still not saying a lot, but I know that will come. She's experimenting a lot with sounds and she is definitely comprehending even more. At the moment she loves "up" and says it more clearly now. She loves 'run, run, run' when I chase her around the house and we both fall over together giggling. Yes! she giggles and I LOVE it - it sounds SO cute! She now says "mow" cow too (how cute is that!) She still gets incredibly excited morning and night when she knows her bottle is on the way and LOVES her bath! She is sleeping incredibly well - has averaged 2 1/2 - 3 hours during the day most days this week - and two of those have been at the new house while I've worked in the garden. I've been amazed because we have sheep/geese/roosters beside us (right near her window) and I've had to keep the window open so I know when she wakes) and she has still slept almost 3 hours there! Amazing child. Maybe it's another growth spurt! She is just starting to 'stack' things too - not just destruct anymore. She still loves outside and loves it when Daddy comes home.

We had a big weekend with a get together of the 6 Suixi (Orphanage) girls. I think the mummy's in particular were actually looking forward to the day more than the girls !?! - but it was more wonderful than words can express to see the other girls and how well they are growing and developing. It's gorgeous. I just wish we lived a little closer! I'll post more info in the next post.

No comments: