Tuesday, August 19, 2008

3 years old tomorrow

I simply can't believe my sweet little girl will be 3 tomorrow. As is often the case, my mind is drawn back to her homeland where another Mother was close to giving birth to a child she knew she could never keep. I have some people who say to me, or who assume, that doing this must be easier for families in China because of the 1 child policy. I ask you? how could it be easier. How could you put 'giving up your child' and 'easy' in the once sentence. I don't think that there would be many Mother's on this earth that would find giving their child up easy - not even close. The bond that is formed between a mother and child is an incredible one....look around you. And I think it would be even harder when the reason for giving your child up may well be because of a Government policy. No, I don't know the circumstances of Ebony's birth - I know very, very little in fact - and I don't want to 'romanticize' the event just to make Ebony happy in years to come. She will have to draw her own conclusions. I do believe in my heart of hearts though, the decision would have been a very, very difficult one for her Birth Mother.

I also know that I appreciate that woman more than any words could say.

I look at my sweet, happy little girl who dances around the lounge room, giggles so much and wants cuddles so often and I ponder on what she would have been like in her own environment. I ponder this little girl growing up in China. I'll never get to see that picture - I can only dream of it and send my heart felt prayers to that Mummy in China who I'm sure will be weeping at the thought of a daughter she can't even know the welfare or whereabouts of. I simply can't imagine that feeling - but I love her for her sacrifice and what it has meant to my life these past 20 months.

Today, as I will over the next few days, I do and will shed tears for the events of 3 years ago.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jen
Ebs main blog pics are always so divine!!! This one of her in her winter parka is just gorgeous!!! Are you the photographer in the home?
And happy birthday sweet Ebony you bring so much joy to your parents.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday beautiful Ebony
Happy Birthday to you....

We hope that you have the most wonderful day and that the WHOLE year ahead is full of lots and lots of love and laughter!!!!

Love From
Alistair, Christine, Hayden, Jordan and Lachie xxxx